Today’s post is for business owners who have little experience with data analysis, use manual timekeeping and scheduling processes, and want to use a scientific approach to better manage their workforce.
Workforce Management 101
Capturing Workforce Management (WFM) data is the first step to creating a Human Capital Optimization strategy. In order to gather and manage the data, you need effective tools. Affordable Baron Workforce Management Suite provides such tools and is ideal for the WFM beginner. Baron Workforce Management Suite is as easy to use as your favorite phone app and automates time-consuming HR processes while gathering the data that is essential for improving productivity and, by extension, profitability.
You Can’t Improve What You Don’t Understand
Let’s look at a few ways Baron Workforce Management Suite captures strategic data. Baron Time is the cloud-based employee timekeeping system in the suite. It can be used in combination with Baron Workforce Management Clock to capture punch-ins, or team members can simply punch in/out in the employee dashboard from any internet-enabled device. Baron Scheduling paired with Baron Time has key benefits for employee timekeeping, schedule creation, employee shift trading, and general inter-departmental communication. But for the purposes of this article, let’s look at the types of data Baron Workforce Management Suite automatically captures.
Ease and Accuracy
Baron Time tracks time to the minute. Why is this important? By simply automating punch in/out, you can find out exactly who habitually punches in early or punches out late. Do you know exactly how much overtime your associates log? With old school manual timekeeping systems, you have to look through all the time cards, find the ones with overtime listed, and add it up. Baron Time tracks overtime automatically and you can view it by simply looking in your manager portal.
- Scheduling: Are the people with the necessary skills and/or certifications scheduled at the right time? How are production levels influenced by scheduling changes? Does workforce morale fluctuate from shift to shift?
- Absences, tardies, breaks, and time theft: Who punches in early? Who forgets to punch out during breaks? Who consistently punches out late every day, adding many unauthorized minutes a week to their time card?
- Coverage gaps: What shifts are understaffed? How does this impact production, customer service, and workflow? Are your managers wasting time trying to find workers to cover shifts at the last minute?
- Overstaffing: What shifts are costing you more in labor than is required? Are team members wasting time due to overstaffing?
- Overtime: How much are you spending in overtime every month? Could this be minimized with smarter scheduling or automatic messages?
- Mobile staff: Are your offsite and mobile staff members where they should be?
- Schedule flexibility: Can your staff members easily trade shifts? Would you have improved worker retention if schedule preferences were better accommodated?
- Admin time: How many hours a week do your managers spend researching and correcting time card errors, tracking accruals, doing compliance reporting, submitting payroll, responding to employee requests for HR information, and dealing with other labor force problems?
To recap the process:
1. Capture data about human resource management.
2. Analyze the data to see opportunities for improvement.
3. Make changes.
4. Identify whether the revisions were effective and adjust where necessary.
5. Continually monitor the results, especially when there have been significant changes in workflow, staff, labor law standards, or business objectives.
Of course, each one of these steps can be broken down considerably. For example, here are some sub-steps to number 3 above:
- Eliminate redundancy through automation
- Reduce time devoted to non-billable processes
- Improve documentation management
- Let employees take over time card management, accrual monitoring, and shift trading
Baron Workforce Management Suite Takes the Mystery Out of HR Data Mining
We would love to discuss more about how Baron Workforce Management Suite can help you leverage essential HR data to increase efficiency and profitability at your business. Call 631-266-2500 today to set up a demo.
baronHCM offers Baron Workforce Management Suite, the powerful, fully-integrated Workforce Management Suite that makes it easy to optimize the performance of your managers, employees, and company.
Baron Workforce Management Suite includes Baron Time, Baron Scheduling, and Baron Mobile. Baron Workforce Management Suite is designed for busy employers like you who need to streamline scheduling, automate time and attendance tracking, maintain regulatory compliance, and decrease labor costs.
How much can you save? Check our baronHCM ROI Calculator.
We can get you up and running with Baron Workforce Management Suite in minutes. Contact us today to set up a demo.